Tuesday 3 March 2015

The Kangoo Land

Hello dear readers !

Back to 2010, I had the amazing opportunity to live in Sydney for one month and a half thanks to an exchange trip. I then hosted my Australian friend at my place.




It was the first time I was going that far and for that long. The day of departure, I remember asking myself a thousand questions with a knot in my stomach.
“Will I be able to put two words together? But what do they eat in Australia? Have I at least taken my adaptor?! Damn, I’m sure I forgot it…”
I didn’t know anything, or almost, of this country. The good side was that I wasn’t going alone. Indeed, a friend from college decided to do the same thing. When you’re nearly 16, it is much more comforting and funny! We were already picturing ourselves as party animals, living the high life. We felt we were invincible!

After 24h in the sky, we finally landed in Sydney for this hell of an adventure.
Unfortunately, in six weeks, we didn’t have the time to visit other cities than Sydney so we focused on wandering in and around Sin City (Sydney’s nickname). But believe me, there are plenty of things to see! Plus, if you want to escape a bit, you just have to slightly get away, near Sydney, to find some beautiful countryside and landscapes.

Sydney is a huge city, about 70 times Glasgow’s size and 12145 km²! The French communauty is very developed with more than 20 thousand expats and lots of restaurants, creperies and bakeries claim the Frenchy style.

In terms of experiences, my six weeks in Sydney allowed me to:

  • Pet a kangaroo and a wombat. The wombat is a short legs puffball which looks like a big guinea pig, not nasty but very idler.
  • Eat crocodile and even kangaroo! In Australia, it is often said that there is more kangaroos than inhabitants. No worry, eating kangaroo is not very common and mainly touristic.
  • Climb the Harbour Bridge, 134 meters high. The sight from there is fantastic but don’t do it if you’re scared of heights, of course.
  • Attend an Australian football game between Sydney and… Sydney!
  • Pose next to a koala – even if they look inoffensive, they can on the contrary be very aggressive!
  • Observe one of the finest Australian wonders: The Blue Mountains.
  • Visit Sydney’s Opera House.
  • Move and dance while hearing digeridoo, the Aboriginal musical instrument with a particular sound. It’s rare to see this today but some musicians play this instrument in the street.  
  • Try the world best hot chocolate at Max Brenner (and a delicious chocolate pizza with marshmallows). It’s an Israeli chain which is a big hit in Australia. How not be successful when cooking chocolate in hundred ways?!
  • Meet some actors in Bondi Beach, acting in the Australian version of “Baywatch” (Alerte à Malibu). The Australian Serie is called Bondi Rescue.
  • Taste and hate the Vegemite, the real Australian speciality. It is a spread which strongly looks like chocolate, but only visually as it is very salty and not very good.
  • Go to non-mixt school wearing a uniform.

This trip was very educative and one of the best opportunities I had in my life.
Today, I would like to go back there in order to discover other Australian wonders and why not staying longer, it feels so good to live in Australia !

As pictures are worth a thousand words, here is a selection of my Australian pictures.

Enjoy!


Sydney Opera House
Sydney Opera House
 


Australia also has plenty of spiders, big and small....





Blue Mountains
Three Sisters in Blue Mountains
Blue Mountains
One of the many beaches of Sydney
Sea Cliff Bridge 
Sydney City
Luna Park 

 



Photos Credits: Bérangère Villate and me.

Folks, here is my advice: go to Australia at least once in your life !

Have you been there once ? What did you enjoy the most ?

K.

No comments:

Post a Comment