Saturday 21 March 2015

Confession of an Erasmus student

A quote says “Erasmus is not a year in one life, but a life in one year”.

In Glasgow now I stand, living the Erasmus  Experience !


When I first began my studies, the idea of leaving France was deeply rooted in my head – no way I finish my studies without having lived at least one year abroad!
I was very convinced and I was right … I was offered the chance to prepare a double diploma in a foreign uni. The opportunity was too good, the objective scheduled: in September 2014, I’ll be anywhere but France!

Why Glasgow ?

I then had to choose between Autralia, Quebec, London and Glasgow.
As I had the chance before to live in Australia for a bit (Go chek out !), the fact that I didn’t want to go in a French speaking country, and my curiosity about Scotland, I picked Glasgow.
The idea of discovering what a winter is really like and this funny culture appealed me.

Difficult beginning
I was clearly picturing myself living my own “Spanish Apartment (Go read my review !), adapted to the Scottish Lifestyle between haggis, this bitterly cold and meeting people of any kind.
At first, adaptation is not that easy and for me, it took time. Practically homeless, stressed out by the ruthless run for a flat, a totally new environment was draining my morale.

A first appraisal
Anyway, after finding a flat in an international flatshare, I have begun to enjoy my Frenchy Erasmus ! Very Frenchy indeed… Soon, I made two statements : there were more French in my uni than Scottish students, and Glasgow in general attracts plenty of French people and you can hear French practically everywhere !
Glasgow is a nice city, the city of nightlife ! There isn't a single night without parties all over the city !

A night out at the Arches
I met amazing people there, French or not and I have seen great cities and landscapes : Edinburgh, Stonehaven, Glen Coe, Oban, Loch Lomond, Arrochar,…
Scotland is the perfect country to make a road trip !

The final word
Even if this adventure is not what I had expected, I am having a good time in Glasgow, I perform my English, I go out, I travel. It’s a very nice year which I recommend to everyone who wanna have fun for a year, without pressure and obligation.

Beautiful landscape, isn't it ?


What about you, have you been an Erasmus ? Where ? If you wanna have questions, then don’t hesitate, I’d be more than happy to answer ! 

1 comment:

  1. Hi There,
    Love your blog. I have just nominated you for a Liebster award If you’d like to accept and pass along the love, here’s all the information http://www.thewanderingmum.com/blog/liebster-award
    I look forward to your future blog posts.
    Amy

    ReplyDelete